Interesting reading! Also examines the transport modes people use to commute…cycling is very low across the board, no surprise but quite sad given its massive benefits…as is the use of public transport in general(London excepted, even though there is scope to improve even here) …says so much about the way we develop towns and cities…
Looking at the UK as a whole, around 3 in 4, or 75 per cent of workers take less than half an hour to travel from home to work.
However, commuting patterns are vastly different between workers in London and those working in the rest of the UK.
People working in London, in particular central London, tend to travel longer to get to work, with more than half, 56 per cent, needing to commute for more than thirty minutes to get to work every day. In contrast, of those working in the rest of the UK, only 20 per cent need to travel as long to reach their workplace.
In the final quarter of 2009, around 3 in 5, or 59 per cent of all workers in the UK worked and lived in the same local authority district. The remaining, 41 per cent, worked in a different local authority district from the one in which they lived.
Majority drive to work rather than use public transport
Percentage of workers by method of travel, London and Rest of the UK, October-December 2009
Interesting short video from a TED talk given by Dave Meslin on the barriers to real engagement and participation in public society. His first point, on participation in planning is so true…the current standard for “engaging” is so complex and dry…an approach like the one he suggests would surely mean real transparency, and make information easily accessible to all. Such simple changes, easily and cheaply implemented could make a massive difference to the way we engage with the world around us - real democracy.